Friday, May 20, 2011

Day five

Today I worked a total of seven hours, and sadly it was my last day. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the clinic with dr lee and the other physicians. I learned an extraordinary amount and was restrained in my belief that I want to become a doctor. We started off the day by two patients. Today after all I taught this week I was allowed to give explanationsto the patients of their diseases, and subsequent treatments got which I was very excited. The first case was extremely textbook, sleep apnea, sleep study needed etc, the second case was far more difficult. The 67 year old male came in after a referral and complained of long held sleep problems in talking with Him we diagnosed him with insomnia, althoughnwe will do a sleep study to check for apnea. We gave him the options for treatment aqnd once he left dr. Lee asked for my opinion. I told dr. Lee that I believed the patient would benefit from psychiatric care to help cure the roots of his insomnia as well as receive some drugs that would be beneficial to his sleep. Lee agreed as a i pointed out specific things about the case and the patients history to back up my claims. Next I attended a pulmonary conference on a controversial lab study, which the entire pulmonary department was attending. After meeting more doctors who worked with my dad and were freaked out by our resemblance me and dr. Lee went to our last task: his lecture to med students on copd ( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) a very well done lecture on how to diagnose and treat the fourth leading cause of death in the united states. At the end of the lecture me and dr. Lee parted and expressed our gratitiudes to each other. I had an absolutely fantastic week.

No comments:

Post a Comment